A Blog devoted to all things SWC, the greatest college athletic conference. Updated weekly with the SWC Game of the Week during football season. Other relevant SWC News will appear from time to time as well.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Goodbye 2004, Hello 2005

O.K. my wife has done it, my friend Wes has done it, I guess I'll do it. Review the year, look forward to the next year, enjoy.

2004, what went right, what went wrong, what turned up ugly...
  • In January we moved to New York City, something we had really wanted to do for over a year. It is great when God puts things together the way you want them to go together. Several things on this list will be a direct result of "the move."
  • Learned to live with less. This is a good thing. It is akin to simplifying your life. It is also tied into charity in our minds. Manhattan is full of the very rich and the very poor at the same time. We try to realize that we have so much, and give what we don't need away. The best example is our pastor at Fifth Ave. Presbyterian gave a sermon on stuff, so we came home and cleaned out our closets.
  • Learned to live in small spaces, again another good thing. We have recently heard of a friend that bought a big house back in Texas and our reaction was, "What a waste." I don't think we will ever want the giant house now, we just don't need it.
  • We have been to fabulous museums, performances, restaurants, etc. It is sometimes like we have been on vacation for a year now.
  • Learned that some people strongely disagree with us politically and think we are stupid because of it. I know that I don't like that feeling, so will try not to express that when / if we move back to an area that we are again in the majority politically.
  • Learned that sometimes dream jobs are not what you think they are going to be.
  • Made some new friends that we both love and would do anything for. We had trouble making friends in Dallas. Funny, had to move to cold, rude New York to make friends we will always have.
  • Kept in touch with old friends as well, some of which have undergone major changes in their lives this year that we have been fortunate to hear about and encourage.
  • Learned that sometimes you don't miss a place until you go back to it.
  • Learned to step out and take on the leadership role, i.e. taking on leading the Couples Class at Church. God works through you, if you let him.

Goals for 2005:

  • Stay attuned to what the people around me need, and try to fill that need. I believe that Christ has called us to serve, as he served.
  • Understand that you can't solve huge problems by yourself, but you can help individual people. I don't have the solution to the homeless problem, but I can give someone a warm dinner and a smile.
  • We want to go to Europe again in the fall.
  • I want to take charge of my career and be more agressive at work. This starts with getting my PE, which I will sit for the test in April.
  • Learn more about my wife and try to keep her laughing.
  • Be more generous.
  • Run in a timed race. I used to do the "fun" runs in college, but haven't in some since. I need to get back into it, it is fun!
  • Build a real snowman. When you grow up on the Texas Gulf Coast, you don't see snow, so I have alot of catching up to do. I also want to sled.
  • Grow a beard. My dad has one, so genetically I should be able to right? I always chicken out because I don't want to look like a dope while I'm trying.

I guess that is it!

No comments: